Clinton River Watershed

image003The Clinton River Watershed, located in southeast Michigan, covers 760 square miles and includes over 1,000 miles of streams in addition to the 80-mile-long main branch.  More than 1.4 million people in over 60 municipalities inhabit the watershed. Land use within the watershed is varied: the southern portion is urban, the middle section is made up of rapidly-developing suburbs, and the northern region is rural.  Approximately 98% of the land area within the City of Pontiac is located within the Clinton River Watershed. The remaining 2% represents several small sections of Pontiac that are located in the extreme south side of the city that drain into the Rouge River Watershed. The city drains into these watersheds through storm drains and waste water treatment plants.

beaudetteparkWhile live fish couldn't be found from Pontiac to the mouth of the Clinton in the 1960s, a large, varied fishery exists today. Many people enjoy canoeing, fishing, boating and riverfront parks throughout the watershed.

The watershed, which drains urban southern Oakland and Macomb counties, is listed as one of the 42 Areas of Concern in the Great Lakes. Thanks to management efforts by lake associations, local government and the Clinton River Watershed Council have helped reduce non point source pollution within the watershed.

This page is dedicated to making the public aware of its role and the city's role in keeping the Clinton River a safe and healthy environment for everyone. Keep checking for informational reports and special events.

Workshops/Meetings Scheduled




As part of the Public Participation Plan (PPP) of the Stormwater Management Program, the Clinton River Watershed Council needs your input.

Click here to take the online survey or Click here to download the survey to complete and mail.