Water Resource Commission


In the event a water or sewer emergency has taken place at your residence or business, a Water Resources Commission employee and/or supervisor will respond to your location and assist in evaluating the problem. Please call 248-624-6366 with your name, address and telephone number. After 4:30 on weekdays we will transfer your call to our emergency number and they will call out a crew. If you call after business hours, or on a weekend or holiday, your call will automatically transfer to that number.

Important Numbers
  • Regular Hours: 248-858-1127
  • After Hours Emergency: 248-624-6366

The Oakland County Water Resource Commission is responsible for the operation and maintenance of: City water supply system (including pump house, mains, hydrants, valves and meters) and the operation and maintenance of storm sewers and sanitary sewer system (including 11 sewage lift stations).

  • Repair and maintenance of water and sewer mains and related structures, such as lift stations and generators, fire hydrants, gate wells, sanitary sewer manholes and water shut off valves.
  • Replacement or repair of leaking, noisy or stopped water meters.
  • Field marking for underground water and sewer utility locations within the road right-of-way or utility easement. Mark-outs are not provided on private property.
  • Management of all subdivision irrigation sprinkling meters, whereby the meters are removed in the fall and installed in the spring by township water personnel.
  • Investigation of possible water service line leaks and sanitary sewer back ups.
  • Answer customer inquiries regarding their water and sewer bill.
  • Administration of programs required by State and Federal agencies, such as sump pump and roof drain inspections, sanitary sewer televising and cleaning, water distribution system gate valve exercising and MDEQ cross connection control inspections. The department does not perform cleaning of sanitary sewer service lines on private property.



Go to Oakland County Water Resources Commission webpage for all questions regarding water and sewer payments.

Water and Sewer bill payments will no longer be accepted at the City Hall Treasurers Office. Water and Sewer payments may be made in person or by phone using credit or debit card at:
Oakland County Water Resources Commission
2636 Dixie Highway
Waterford, MI
Monday - Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. - (248)858-1110

or by mail to

Oakland County Water Resources Commission
One Public Works Drive
Waterford, MI 48328-1907

Online bill payments may be made through:


Effective September 1, 2012, The monthly Sewer Administrative Charge will be $11.52. There will also be a Sewer Flat Rate of $53.95.

Click here for the "Letter to Residence" explaining the new charges.

Click here to read the order implementing the new rate.


What to do if your basement or sewage drains backup.

Call 248-858-1127 with your name, address, telephone number to report this problem. We will dispatch a sewer crew as soon as one becomes available. After 4:30 on weekdays, call 248 -858-0931 and they will call out a crew. If you call after business hours, or on a weekend or holiday, your call will automatically transfer to that number.

If the problem is determined to be a City sewer main problem you may be eligible to file a damage claim through the City’s Risk Management Division located in City Hall 47450 Woodward Avenue, Pontiac, MI 48342. If this is the case, we will need to make arrangements to enter your property and photograph the alleged damages. These photos would be made available to Risk Management upon the filing of a claim.

Please be advised that most of the calls we receive are backups due to rain or ground water (which will naturally drain out over time), or tree roots blocking your sanitary sewer lead. The property owner is responsible for all internal sewer plumbing including the building lead out to where it meets the sanitary main.

If the problem is determined to be a “house problem”, you will need to contact a private Company to come out and clean your sanitary lead. Unfortunately, for the sake of City liability, we are unable to recommend any particular company over any other.

What to do if you have no water.

Call the Oakland County Water Resource Commission at 248-858-1110 to inquire about lack of water to your address. We may ask if your bill is paid or other questions pertinent to your problem, not to offend you, simply to get your call to the appropriate party.

We may also report to you that we are performing work which has required the water to be turned off in your area. We will do our best to notify you in advance and/or give you a time frame in which to expect the water to be turned back on. In the case of emergencies, such as water main breaks, we are not always able to contact everyone; feel free to contact the Oakland County Water Resource Commission should you experience a loss of water services at 248-858-1110.

Please be advised that we do not supply hot water, we only supply water. A lack of hot water may be attributed to many things, and we will recommend that you first contact Consumers Energy. We cannot light the pilot on your water heater, or perform any other non-water related tasks. For your convenience the phone number to Consumers is 1-800-477-5050.

What is MISS DIG? Why/when do I need to call? What happens when I call?

According to their web site it is: a clearinghouse for calls to request staking of all utilities. A Michigan wide one-call excavation safety and utility damage-prevention company that has received in excess of 16 million staking requests since the one-call center opened in 1970

You need to call this number: if you plan to dig call MISS DIG at 800-482-7171 or 811. It is a FREE service available to anyone in the State of MI.

We will receive your request via fax /email directly from MISS DIG, and the City will send out personnel to mark the appropriate services. We will ONLY mark City services, which is why the one-call center was created. They will send requests for staking to all utilities on the requestor’s behalf. We will NOT mark City services without a MISS DIG request, there is a process for emergencies through their system, giving them priority when necessary.

2008 Water Quality Report
2009 Water Quality Report
2010 Water Quality Report
2011 Water Quality Report
2012 Water Quality Report
2013 Water Quality Report
Office Location: Water Resources Commission
2636 Dixie Highway
Waterford, MI
Business Hours: Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Telephone Number: Sewer Service: (248) 858-1127
After-hours Sewer Service Emergency: (248) 858-0931

Water Service: (248) 858-1110
Questions About Your Water Bill: (248) 858-1110

E-Mail Address :